5 Steps + 7 Tips to Writing an About Page that Sells and Builds Trust
Did you know that the most read page on your website is your About page?
Why is that people read your About page more than any other? It’s because people want to feel connected to you and to your essence. The more we live out our lives and businesses on the internet, the more we’ll search for meaning, authenticity and connection.
You are your brand and always will be, no matter what business you are in. Your services or store page is where you turn the attention outward to what you are selling. Your About page, then, is the place where you turn the conversation inward and show who you are as a soul.
Traditionally, About pages read more like bios or just contain cold, hard facts. Telling someone, “I’m a healer, writer and artist” says what you do, but not who you are.
In other words, nouns tell, but they don’t sell.
Your About page is a huge opportunity to sell yourself and have people feel extra connected to you. Your goal for your About page is to:
1. Help your audience connect to your true essence and energy
2. Build trust
What exactly do you write on your About page then, that makes people feel connected to you and inspires them to buy your stuff? Glad you asked!
Here’s what you want to talk about:
5 Steps to Cooking Up an Awe–Inspiring About Page
1. Tell your story — How did you get to where you are today? How did you get started? What experiences guided you to this point? What was your childhood like?
2. Reveal your intimate self — Show me your personality. Who are you when no one else is looking? Did you fail in the past and if so, what did you learn? What miracles happened? Did the worst thing that ever happened to you become the best thing that ever happened to you?
3. Convey your why — Why are you doing this work? What’s your purpose? What’s in it for you? What’s your reason?
4. Bring me into your world — Share what that you believe in, value, and show total passion or compassion for. What do you care about? And why should I care too?
5. Paint your vision — What kind of world do you want to live in? What’s the change you want to see and help make possible? How does your work contribute to that vision?
Additional writing tips:
• Write from your High Heart Chakra, meaning, write from the highest place of your heart, the place that contains your soul thrill. Don’t write from a place of bitterness, sadness, criticism and judgment (for yourself or others).
• Write what you fear. What do you most want to say, yet are too scared to say for fear of being disliked or criticized? Therein contains your most important message.
• Stay on point. Remember, your goal in your About page is to connect with others and to build trust. Feel free to share interesting tidbits but keep that concise. Don’t go in too many different directions or share too many unrelated pieces that will lose the reader’s attention.
• Share your failures from a place of having learned and evolved. Don’t use your About page to heal yourself. Use your stories of failure as a springboard for inspiring others.
• Always connect your stories and experiences to the reader, so that people can relate to you.
• Be authentic at all times. It’s required!
• Don’t feel like you have to share all your secrets. Only share what you feel comfortable sharing, for where you are right now. You might feel like sharing more tomorrow or next year, and that’s when you can revisit your writing. Trust that you’ll keep peeling back your own layers, and as you grow more secure, you’ll feel compelled to say and show more.
Don’t hide your fabulous self! Get working on your About page and reveal a whole new layer of authenticity that you were too scared to admit in 2013. Keep selling yourself + reinventing your message and image. Rewrite your About page once a year because you’ll keep coming at it from a higher place.
Ready for your challenge?
Post a link to your new About page in the comments below — we’d love to read it.
Hi, I’m Ana Coeur
I teach entrepreneurs how to create their business straight from their soul. I offer a complete Intuitive Business Suite to help you create, design, write and sell all from your intuition. Here’s the services you can take advantage of to empower your business: Intuitive Web & Brand Design, Intuitive Copywriting and Intuitive Selling. If there’s anything I can help you with, I would love to hear about it! You may email me at anaintuitivepicture.com
Schedule a free assessment of your website and business
Show me your website and I’ll share with you what I sense and what we can accomplish together. Here’s how to book your free assessment: